How to Sew a DIY Quilted Table Runner - Free Step By Step Pattern


I'm sharing how to sew a simple quilted table runner to match the place mats I made a few weeks ago.

Tools and Materials:

I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 



I'm making my table runner 15" wide so I've cut my fabric 15" by a length of about 50".  I've got my top fabric then some towel in place of batting then on the bottom I'm using some waterproof fabric.  


I've pinned the three layers together at the corners then marked lines every 3" along the length of the top fabric.


Starting in the middle I've sewn along these lines.


Working my way out to the edges.


After the quilting is finished I've used my rotary cutter and ruler to square off the edges of the quilting.


Lovely.


Now for the binding.  

I've cut strips of fabric 2.5" wide.  To make a continuous strip I'm joining them at right angles.


Then pressing the seam open.


And clipping the seam allowance.


To complete the binding I fold it in half wrong sides together and press along the length,


I find clips much easier than pins for holding layers together.  The raw edge of the binding is lined up with the raw edge of the quilt.


Then I stitch a 1/4" seam.


And press the binding on the right side.


It's then turned to the back and clipped in place.  

I stitch in the ditch to secure it.


Linking Up To:


#simplycrafting #sewing #handmade #sewersofinstagram #dressmaker #sewistsofinstagram