Chicken and Bacon Tomato Pasta Sauce - Batch Cook Recipe


We love those pasta sauce jars at our house.  Both the kids clear their plates every time we have it.  But it's not the healthiest option and there's hardly any meat in the jars.  So here's my healthy homemade version which hubster has declared infinitely tastier than the jarred stuff.


Here's my Little Pickle devouring his portion.  No, the vest did not survive.

I made a big batch of 18 portions for £12.10 so that's 67p per serving.  To be fair this is more expensive than the jars which are about 59p each, however this homemade version contains a full portion of meat as well as two portions of veggies.  With the kids still cleaning their plates I'm definitely calling this one a win.


Tools and Ingredients:
1kg Bacon £3.49
1kg Chicken Thighs £5.30
1kg Onions 50p
Courgettes 94p
Garlic 13p
Passata 32p
3 Tins Chopped Tomatoes 84p
Tomato Puree 31p
Chicken Stock 12p
1/4 bottle Balsamic Vinegar 15p
Oregano

Total £12.10 / 18 portions = 67p per serving

Food purchased from Aldi


I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 


Start by mincing the garlic.  I do this in a food processor because it saves time.


Then finely dice the onions, again I use my food processor.

Fry them until soft.


Add the bacon chopped up into little pieces.


And fry that too.


Peel the courgettes and dice them in the food processor.

Add them to the pan.


Add the diced chicken and four stock cubes.


Add the passata.


And tomato puree.


Then the tins of chopped tomatoes.


And about a quarter of a bottle of balsamic vinegar.


Then finely the finely diced oregano.

Bring it to the boil and leave to simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.

After it's cooked leave it to cool down completely before freezing.

After defrosting the pasta sauce can be mixed in with cooked pasta and served straightaway or for a pasta bake mix it with partly cooked pasta and oven cook for about 30 minutes.


This was utterly scrumptious!!  The flavours of the balsamic vinegar and the bacon really shine through.

This chicken and bacon pasta sauce recipe was such a resounding success that I'm thinking of trying it in different flavour varieties.  I could do chicken and bacon in a creamy sauce or maybe a tuna fish version.  What's your favourite pasta bake variety?  Leave me a comment and let me know.

Linking Up To:


Pin this recipe for later.
Here's some of my other pasta recipes to inspire you:

#simplycrafting #homecooking #budgterecipe #batchcooking #mealprep #healthyeating #healthyeatingideas #healthyeatingforlife #healthyeatingonabudget #healthycooking #healthyrecipe