Cheese and Broccoli Soup - Healthy Batch Cook Recipe


Little Miss requested broccoli soup, it's weird she has a thing for broccoli at the moment.  She doesn't actually eat it, apart from one time when she eat an entire spear and declared it delicious.  But I figure she ate it once and she keeps asking for it so I might stand a better chance of her eating broccoli than any other vegetable.

She does. however eat cheese.  Cheese (and mayonnaise) is life to my kids, they would eat it for every meal if I let them.  Cheese and broccoli sounded like a combination that Little Miss might at least try.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much of this dish, it's not one I've tried before.  I'm not usually a fan of cheese based dishes, a little cheese absolutely but too much and I find it too sickly.  

Oh my goodness as soon as this deliciousness touched my lips I was besotted.  I could have eaten the whole pan. The cheese isn't overpowering at all it just adds a delicious dimension of creaminess.  The vegetables are cooked to perfection with just enough texture, still full of flavour but also soft enough to work well in a soup.


Tools and Ingredients:
2 Broccoli £1.18
500g Carrots 30p
500g Onions 29p
Chicken Stock 12p
Cream 89p
Butter 25p
1 pt Milk 25p
Cheese £2.00
Flour 8p

Total: £5.36
Makes 15 servings = 36p  per serving

Food purchased from Aldi


I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 


Start by mincing the garlic.


And dicing the onions.


Dice the carrots.


And chop the broccoli.


Throw the vegetables in a good sized pan and fry them in plenty of butter.


Add the full carton of cream.


And about a pint of milk.


Top with a very generous sprinkling of flour.

Bring the mixture to the boil stirring frequently.

Once the veg is tendrer but not soft turn off the heat.

Grate about 500g of cheddar and stir it into the soup.


Portion into freezer tubs and allow to cool before freezing.

Defrost thoroughly and heat in the microwave (or on the hob) before serving.


If the soup is too thick you can water it down with milk before re-heating but I really enjoyed it thick enough to stand a spoon in!


Pin this recipe for later.

Here are some of my other soup recipes:

#simplycrafting #homecooking #budgterecipe  #batchcooking #mealprep #healthyeating #healthyeatingideas #healthyeatingforlife #healthyeatingonabudget  #healthycooking #healthyrecipe