Pulled Pork Irish Stew Recipe - Slow Cooker Budget Batch Cook


A super easy Irish stew recipe using slow cooked pulled pork to keep the cost down to just 43p per portion.

I usually make this Irish stew recipe with chunks of beef but money is tight at the moment so I thought I'd try it with beef mince instead.  It worked really well with my recent hot pot recipe.

However it was recently pointed out to me that beef mince isn't always the cheapest meat.  I checked when I got to the supermarket and sure enough pork shoulder was cheaper.  

So this recipe has become pulled pork Irish stew.

It's really easy which is a good job because I'm super busy this week.


Ingredients and Tools:
Pork Shoulder Joint 1.5kg £4.63
1kg Carrots 58p
1kg Onions 50p
Bulb Garlic 12p
Beer, Dark Ale 89p
Brown Sugar 10p
Tomato Puree 31p
Thyme
Parsley
Plain Flour 10p
Beef Stock 12p
Soy Sauce 45p

Total = £7.80 / 18 portions = 43p per portion

Food purchased from Aldi


I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 


Start by chopping the onions.


Then mincing the garlic - I use a food processor for convenience.


Fry them until soft.


Slice the carrots - so much easier with a food processor.


Pop the pork joint into the slow cooker.


Cover it with the fried onions.


Then the carrots.


Then add some brown sugar, a small handful.


And some flour, a big handful this time.


And the herbs - I'm using thyme and parsley fresh from the garden,


Then the full tube of tomato puree.


I've included beef stock cubes on the recipe but I happened to have some homemade pork stock in the freezer so I used that instead.

Stir the ingredients as best you can around the joint.  Then cook on low for the day or about 5 hours on high if you're in a rush.


Once it's cooked remove the pork joint.  Cut off the bulk of the fat (you can use this to make more pork stock).  Then shred the pork by either cutting it or pulling it apart with a pair of forks.


Put the pork back into the slow cooker and give it a good stir.


I got 6 family sized portions, that's enough to feed 3 adults or my family of 2 adults and 2 smalls.
  

I served it with Air Fried Chips and frozen broccoli.  Here's how I make healthy chips:


If you prefer the beef version here's my old recipe:


Linking Up To:


Be sure to pin this recipe for later.

#simplycrafting #homecooking #budgterecipe  #batchcooking #mealprep #slowcookerrecipe #healthyeating #healthyeatingideas #healthyeatingforlife #healthyeatingonabudget  #healthycooking #healthyrecipe