Butterfly Print Max & Meena Rozzlyn Peplum Top Sewing Project



Isn't this butterfly fabric stunning??  The peplum top adds a lovely feminine touch that makes an otherwise plain top so pretty.  However this pretty feature doesn't interfere with active play.

Lovingly made in the UK with digitally printed cotton Lycra fabric that's amazingly vivid and bright.  The fabric is also soft and stretchy so this top will fit for ages.  The contrasting neckband is made from super stretchy ribbing.  The contrasting peplum is made form the same fabric.  

With long sleeves this top is perfect for colder weather.  The contrasting rib is quite thick almost jumper weight fabric so it's lovely and warm for winter.  The soft and stretchy fabric make it ideal for rough and tumble playtime but the stunning print makes this a perfect party top.

Tools and Materials:

I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 
Pattern by Max and Meena
Butterfly Fabric from stash

Seams


I use a stretch stitch on my sewing machine followed by a second line of stitching on my overlocker (serger).  Two rows of stitching makes an ultra strong seam that will stand up to rough and tumble play.

Sleeves


I use loads of pins to get a lovely neat set in sleeve.


I overlock (serge) my sleeve hem to neaten the raw edge.  Then I use my homemade hem guide to press a perfectly even hem.  My paper hem guide won't last much longer, I've got this one

   

in my Amazon wish list.  Maybe I'll get lucky for my birthday later this month.

I leave sewing the sleeve hem until after I've sewn the sleeve seam.  I just open out my pressed hem to stitch the sleeve seam then fold it back to stitch the hem.


The sleeve and side seam is sewn in one continuous seam which gives it a very neat finish.

Bands


When sewing the bands I use a straight stitch because it allows the seam to lie a little flatter than it would with a stretch stitch.


To make it lie even flatter I press the seam open.


I find it easier to line up the two raw edges of the bands perfectly by using a tailors ham for pressing.

Hems


It can be tricky to press such a rounded hem neatly.  I take it slow and make good use of my sewing gauge.


I switch to a twin needle for a really professional finish on the hems.


And I also use the twin needle to top stitch around the neck band.  This helps the neckband to lie perfectly flat whilst allowing it to stretch.


Linking Up to:


#simplycrafting #sewingchildrensclothes #handmadechildrensclothes #handmadechildrensclothing #sewingkidsclothes #sewngforkids #butterflytop #numonday