How to Sew a DIY Hair Scrunchie - Free Step by Step Pattern


So apparently scrunchies are back in fashion.  It's news to me that they ever went out of fashion, lol.

  They're the perfect little project for using up leftover fabric too small to sew into another garment.  Instead of useless scraps you can't bare to part with you get a perfectly matching hair accessory.

This free scrunchie pattern is for the jumbo size because I had plenty of fabric leftover this time.  The measurements can be reduced slightly to make use of a smaller scrap of fabric or make a smaller scrunchie.  

Tools and Materials:

I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 

The fabric is 100% cotton from my stash.  Minerva Crafts have a lovely range of similar fabrics in a wide variety of prints.



I've cut my fabric to 6" wide by 28" long.  I've also cut a length of elastic 6" long.  The width of the elastic doesn't really matter, I'm just using what I have on hand.


I've pinned the end of the elastic to the wrong side of the fabric 3/4 of the way across.


I've used a zig zag stitch to stitch the elastic in place.  


I've pressed under about half an inch at the opposite end of the length of fabric.


Then I folded the fabric in half length ways and stitched along the long edge.


The jumbo sized scrunchies are quite easy to turn right sides out with your fingers.  Smaller sizes would need help from a loop turner.


The un-stitched end of the elastic is inserted into the other end of the scrunchie.


And the pressed hem pulled over the join.


Then a pin to hold everything in place, make sure the pin holds the elastic too.


Then a simple line of stitching through the fabric and elastic.


And we have a scrunchie.

Linking Up To:


Here's a pin to save for later.

And here's what you'll need to make your own:

Tools and Materials:

I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 

The fabric is 100% cotton from my stash.  Minerva Crafts have a lovely range of similar fabrics in a wide variety of prints.


#simplycrafting #sewingchildrensclothes #handmadechildrensclothes #handmadechildrensclothing #sewingkidsclothes #sewngforkids #sewingscraps #freesewingpattern