Simplicity 1332 Colour Blocked Top Sewing Project


I'm loving this pattern.  The colour blocking adds interest to what would otherwise be a plain top but it also means that it uses smaller pieces of fabric so it's a great stash buster.  This one is made from the last of my cerise stretch and the back of an old black T-Shirt which was badly stained on the front.  

Next time I make this up (and there will be a next time) I'll sew the shoulder seams and apply the neckband straight away THEN serge and stitch the centre back seam.  That way I can serge the raw edges of the neckband at the same time as the back seam.  

Also, the zip seems unnecessary to me.  I'd rather have a button or snap fastening with the centre back seam going further up the back.  A zip just seems like it would irritate the child and the last thing my life needs is another reason for my kid to be cranky.  

The size 3 years was a perfect fit on my petite 3 1/2 year old.  I'll be cutting the size 4 next time so she's got some growing room.  


Tools and Materials:


With right sides together pin, sew and serge upper front to lower front.


Press.


Serge back seams to finish edges.

Pin and sew back seam up to notch.


Pin, sew and serge front to back at shoulders.


Fold neckband in half and press.


Pin, sew and serge neckband to neck edge.


And press.


Press back opening.


Insert zip.


Pin, sew and serge front to back at side seams.


Pin, sew and serge upper sleeve to lower sleeve.


Press.


Pin, sew and serge sleeve seams.


Set in sleeves.


Press hems and finish with a twin needle.