Jump Rope Christmas Dress - Sewing Pattern Details (Part 2)


I'm totally in love with all the little details on this Jump Rope Dress pattern from Oliver & S.  I've made a huge effort to take my time and achieve a really professional finish with this sewing project.  I think that getting the details just right will be the key to making this dress look truly stunning.  

Keep on reading if you'd like to to see how I got on . . . 

 

Save 40% off all New Look and Kwik Sew sewing patterns for a limited time at Minerva Crafts.


This post is colossal, it would take forever to load so I've broken it down into sections to make it easier for you to read.

Jump Rope Dress Sewing Pattern Details


It's made with woven fabric which I have quite a bit of so it's a good stash buster for me.  I've been sewing with knits quite a lot this year and am definitely in the mood for a woven fabric revival.  

I came across this fabric while I was pulling out my Christmas prints hoping to find a use for them this year - as soon as I saw I knew this would be the perfect fabric to put my new pattern to work.

This fabric originally belonged to my mum, she probably bought it for Christmas quilting projects.  It looks like it's 100% cotton quilting fabric.


The collar was always going to be a challenge for me.  I think it makes an otherwise casual fit dress look really smart.  


It has pocketssss!!!  I love the flap (which is fake btw) and the little button detail.


These tiny little fold up flaps on the sleeves are just darling.  It's one of those tiny little details that makes this dress really stand out from a simpler design.


The button up front placket is fully functioning.  One of the reviewers of this pattern pointed out that having the button closure on the front makes the dress easier for little people to get on and off by themselves.  I'm all about helping my smalls to become as independent as they can be, I believe it fosters self confidence and gives them valuable life skills not to mention the fact that the more independent they are the less I have to do for them - win win.


I found these vintage buttons in my stash.  I'm not too sure, I think they're a bit much but Little Miss chose them from the one's I offered her so that's what she's got.


The bow on the sash is such a fabulous girly feature.  Too fussy for my style but Little Miss is growing into quite the girlie girl so I'm sure she will love it.  Plus it'll be fab practice for tying her own laces.  

This post is colossal, it would take forever to load so I've broken it down into sections to make it easier for you to read.

The Jump Rope Dress was a challenging pattern for me, it really stretched my sewing skills.  It felt like a really positive learning experience that taught me a wealth of new sewing techniques and skills.  The instructions were wonderfully clear and well written I followed them carefully, took my time and measured twice to sew up a dress that I'm really proud of.  

I'd highly recommend this pattern for an intermediate sewist looking to take their skills to the next level.  

Here's the rest of the tools I used if you fancy having a go at any of the techniques I have discussed:

I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 

 

Save 40% off all New Look and Kwik Sew sewing patterns for a limited time at Minerva Crafts.



Here are some of the other dresses I've made my Little Miss:

#simplycrafting #makersgonnamake #sewing #handmade #sewersofinstagram #dressmaker #sewistsofinstagram #sewingchildrensclothes #handmadechildrensclothes #handmadechildrensclothing #sewingkidsclothes #sewngforkids #jumpropedress #oliverands