Slow Cooker Budget Batch Cook Tomato and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe


The back to school flu has hit my house with a vengeance.  We're all walking round moaning, reminiscent of some kind of zombie movie.  I don't know how Little Miss is still managing to go to school, she's a tough little cookie that one.

All I want to do is curl up with a bowl of something hot and tasty.  So I'm cooking up a batch of this tomato and sweet potato soup.


Tools and Ingredients:
Chopped Tomatoes 29p x 4 =£1.16
Sweet Potatoes 95p
Peppers £1.19
Red Onions 64p
Garlic 16p
Coconut Milk 65p x 2 = £1.30
Vegetable Stock Cubes 12p
Crusty Bread to Serve 42p x 4 = £1.68

Total = £7.20
Makes 21 portions = 34p per portion


Food purchased from Aldi

I earn a small commission when products are purchased through the links I post here (at no additional cost to you). 

There's nothing like tomato soup for when you're feeling poorly.  Sweet, silky and full of flavour, it hits the spot every time.


Adding roasted peppers to tomato soup gives it a whole new depth of flavour that turns an otherwise plain dish into something really special.

Red peppers would have been preferable but this is a budget recipe and peppers are cheapest in big mixed bags so that's what I'm using.

Roughly chop them and put them in a roasting tin.  Drizzle with a little oil and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes.


Because this is a soup that will be blended I'm not bothering to chop the onions finely.  I've just roughly chopped them up and popped them in my favourite pan with a little oil to fry until soft.


I've also roughly chopped the garlic and thrown that in with the onions.


I fried the onions and garlic until they were all nicely soft and a little coloured on the edges.


I love how the addition of potatoes to soup makes them so much thicker and more filling.  Sweet potatoes have so much more flavour than their plain white counterparts.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!


The peppers could have done with a little longer in the oven but they'll do.


Add everything except the coconut milk to the slow cooker.


I've used four tins of chopped tomatoes.  Adding extra tins would stretch this recipe further and reduce the cost per portion.


Cook until the sweet potato is soft.  I'm running a bit behind today so I'm cooking this soup on high for about 5 hours.  If you're planning on leaving the soup in your slow cooker all day cook it on low.


Once the soup is cooked add the coconut milk.


Instead of the usual dairy cream this recipe uses coconut milk to give it a rich and creamy taste and silky texture.  Not only is it healthier but this makes this recipe completely vegan.


Blend the soup until it's smooth.


And portion it up ready for the freezer.  Make sure it's completely cool before freezing.


I like mine with some fresh ground pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes.  You could add these in whilst cooking but my kids aren't too keen on pepper or too much spice so I prefer to add mine just before serving, it makes it look prettier too lol.

Link Ups:


Pin it to your recipes board for later.

Here's some of my older soup recipes to inspire you:
 Chicken and Mushroom as You Like It Recipe Spicy Chicken Soup
 Leek and Potato Soup Recipe Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe

#simplycrafting #budgterecipe #batchcooking #slowcookerrecipe #souprecipe