McCalls 6873 Sewing Pattern Review - Boys Waistcoat from an Old Suit


This pattern was a lot tougher than I expected.  

The imitation welt pockets were quite tricky to get neat, I had to be very accurate with the positioning - something I rarely bother with.  

The instructions didn't say to but I carefully trimmed all the corners so that the angles would be nice and sharp.

 

Tools and Materials:

Most of my sewing stash comes form the lovely people at Minerva Crafts.


If I make this again I'll be sure to carefully mark the welts, buttons, buttonholes and stitching line before the rest of the steps.


Apply interfacing.


Fold welts and stitch ends.


Clip corners. trim seams and turn.


Pin welts in place and sew along stitching line.


Trim seam and fold up welt.  Top stitch sides.

Reverse stitch to secure - not mentioned in the instructions but a lesson well learned.


Apply top welt in the same way.


Pin and sew centre back.


Pin and sew shoulder seams.


Pin and sew the centre back of the lining.


And the shoulder seams of the lining.


Pin the lining to the waistcoat.  

Sew around the arm holes and along the neck, fronts and bottom of the waistcoat.

Clip the curves.


Turn.

Sew front to back at side seams also sewing some of the lining in one seam.  

This was so tricky!!  The hole is tiny and it gets smaller as you sew.  But I managed it in the end.


Just the button holes and buttons to finish.  I re-used the buttons from the suit jacket.