Chocolate Cake Recipe


This recipe is based on my Purple Velvet Cake Recipe.

Ingredients:
4 Eggs £0.31
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder £0.05
225g Self Raising Flour £0.08
225g Caster Sugar £0.29
425g Butter (225g for cake 200g for frosting) £0.63
Cocoa Powder £0.20
400g Icing Sugar £0.69
Purple Food Colouring £0.05
Sprinkles £0.85

Total £3.15.  This cake easily fed 30 guests with leftovers.


We started by weighing out the flour, sugar and butter into a big mixing bowl with the eggs and baking powder.  Little Miss added the cocoa powder.  I'd say a few tablespoons.


She was very pleased with herself.


And obviously took charge of the spoon licking.


Into the mixer it went . . .


And it came out looking like this.


I poured it into my greased cake tin and popped it in the oven at gas mark 4 for 30 minutes.


Meanwhile I made the frosting (Little Miss had got distracted by this point).  Butter and icing sugar into the mixing bowl.


Plus some food colouring and a good mix.


I iced the cooled cake and here's what we got.

I did put some chocolate sprinkles on the top but totally neglected to get a photo of the finished product.