Chocolate D for Daddy Cake Recipe with Pink Icing


A super easy chocolate cake recipe perfect for kids to make.  This one is covered in oh so girly pink icing because that's every daddy's dream cake isn't it?

Little Miss is very excited about her birthday, which is months and months away!!  Thankfully her Daddy's birthday is much closer so I told her she could have some of the things she's excited about for her Daddy's birthday.  She fixated on the cake and quickly designed this pink monstrosity, right down to the pink stars.  It wasn't what I had in mind for a 41 year old guy but it made his little girl very happy.


Ingredients and Tools:

For the Cake:
225g Self Raising Flour 8p
225g Castar Sugar 29p
225g Buter 63p
4 Eggs 31p
1 teaspoon baking powder 5p
2 - 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder 20p

For the Icing:
400g Icing Sugar 69p
200g Buter -
Chocolate Stars 99p
Food Colouring 5p

Total = £3.29


I have two little helpers today.


We started by weighing out the flour, butter and sugar.

I added the baking powder.


Then my helpers added the cocoa powder, the amount isn't crucial.

Meanwhile I broke the eggs and added them to the mixture.

We popped the mixing bowl into my trusty Kenwood mixer and mixed away.

I left the small people to watch the mixer (they were fascinated) while I thoroughly greased the cake tin with some butter.


Then they "helped" to pour the mixture into the cake tin.


I popped in in the oven at gas mark 4 for about 30 minutes.


Meanwhile my helpers addressed the vital job of spoon licking. 


Once the cake was cool I made the icing by mixing the icing sugar and butter, again using my Kenwood mixer to get it super fluffy.  

I had intended to buy some pink food colouring especially for the occasion but my usual supermarket was out of stock and being socially responsible I didn't try a different one.  I did think I had some sugar paste colouring but as it turned out this wasn't the case.  Little Miss was very upset when I suggested that pink icing may not be happening.  So this icing is actually colouring with sugar paste dusting.  Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.  If you decide to make this cake for yourself I do recommend opting for actual food colouring instead.

I spread my icing over the cake and smoothed it down before sprinkling some white chocolate stars on top for decoration.


I popped the cake in the fridge overnight to set the icing before serving the next day.

I also couldn't get birthday cake candles and so improvised with these too.

Linking Up To:


Pin this chocolate cake recipe for later.

Here are some of my other cake recipes:

#simplycrafting #budgetrecipes #batchcook #healthiereating #mealinspiration #midweekmeals #fiveaday #homemadefoodisthebest #mumscooking #homecooked #pinkcake #cakeofinstagram #chocolatecake #pinkchocolatecake