Purple Satin Irish Chain Patchwork Quillow (Pillow / Quilt) Sewing Tutorial


I love to give quilts as wedding presents.  This one is made entirety from reclaimed fabrics in the brides favourite colour.  The quilt can be folded up and tucked into a pocket on one side so that it can also be used as a cushion, known as a quillow.


Tools and Materials:
Purple Curtains
Black Sheet
Purple Throw

Most of my sewing stash comes form the lovely people at Minerva Crafts.



Here's my scribbles.  I always start by drawing the quilt design on paper so I can get an idea of the number of blocks I need for the size of quilt I want to make.  


The large blocks are 9" square so I've cut a strip of purple fabric 9.5" wide and 171" (18 x 9.5) long.

The small blocks are 3" square.  The strips for these are 3.5" wide by (18 x 5 x 3.5) 315" long.


I start by sewing together the 3.5" strips using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Then I cut these to 3.5" wide.

At this point I've counted the pieces and arranged them to make sure I have the right amount.  I've also made a set of three strips for the end of the block.


I sew the pieces together.


Then sew the finished blocks together.


I've pinned and sewn together the patchwork and throw.


Then quilted by stitching in the ditch around each block.


The pocket is made from some leftover blocks.


I've bound the edges as described in my earlier Quilt Binding Tutorial.


And here is the finished quilt in it's quillow form.