Chicken and Mushroom as You Like It Recipe

This started life as a chicken and mushroom soup but while it was cooking it occurred to me that it could be so much more.  I love soup in the winter but winter is starting to come to an end - at least we're experiencing a temporary warm spell that makes me feel that way!  So I'm looking for alternatives, sandwiches and salads are fine with hubby and me but Little Miss is currently refusing to eat her veggies anything less than cooked to a pulp.  

It occurred to me I can take this scrummy soup and mix it with some pasta as an equally scrummy pasta sauce.  That led me to thinking of a potato salad type dish using the soup as a sauce and pre-cooked or even air fried supd chucks.  Or what about jacket potato filling!  Or of course soup if a little water were added.  

Sounds like a plan.  I think next week will see a tomato type soup as that will make a nice sauce too.  

So anyways, on with the recipe.  

  • Chicken
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Celery
  • Parsley
  • Thyne
  • Butter
  • Cream
  • Oil (For Frying)
  • Flour


Chop the onions.


Fry until golden then throw in the slow cooker.


Chop the garlic.


Fry.


Chop the mushrooms and fry these too.  Frying the mushrooms before cooking them helps them to maintain their shape and texture.  Sling them in the slow cooker.


Slice the celery into thin strips.


Then chop it into little chunks.


Into the slow cooker.


With the diced chicken - finely diced as I won't be blending this soup.


Sprinkle with flour.


Add butter.


And stir.


Cook on low for the day and it's done.


With some added water. served with a roll.


Or mixed with some pre-cooked pasta for hubbys lunch.