Thai Fish & Coconut Curry Recipe

Another recipe from I Love My Slow Cooker by Beverly LeBlanc.  This is definitely my current "go to" recipe book, there's a wide variety and the recipes are clear and straightforward - no waffling!


This is the first time I've done fish in the slow cooker, it's added right at the end of the cooking time so that's it's nicely cooked through and not overdone which I was worried it may be.



I happened to have some homemade fish stock that's been languishing in the freezer forever.  The recipe suggests using chicken stock which I'll have to do in future but this seemed a good time to put that fish stock to use.

I also used frozen fish which with hindsight was a mistake. Because the fish is added at the last minute (in slow cooker terms) is made the previously perfect consistency sauce really watery.  Too watery, it leaves that unsightly puddle of liquid at the bottom of the dish.


Here's all the veggies chopped and ready to fry.


Next all the spices.


 And the coconut milk brought to the boil.


Then it's into the slow cooker and that evening it's served with rice.

You can actually see the puddle already forming under the rice.  The sauce itself was absolutely delish and I'll definitely make that again, just not with frozen fish.

It'd probably be fine with fresh fish although to be fair the sauce has quite a strong flavour which to me would overpower the delicate flavour of the fish making it pretty pointless using it.

I almost feel like this recipe has been include in order to "prove" that you can use fish in a slow cooker.

I'll be doing a repeat of this one with chicken added at the beginning of the cooking time so it has chance to soak up all those scrummy flavours in the sauce.  .